Post SQL Install checklist
I’m finding myself in an uncomfortable (for me) situation these days. I have SQL servers being built and configured on my network with out my input or assistance and there’s not much I can do about it – other than wait for the VAR to be finished and give me access to the boxes.
To prep for that day I’ve started documenting all those things that I generally do as part of my installation process, but will now have to do after the fact. This list is by no means complete, nor in a particular order – and really a reminder for myself, but hopefully it will help some of you as well.
1. Alerts for severity 16-25, errors 823, 824, 825
3. DB Mail
5. Index maintenance
6. Check DB scheduled
7. STATs maintenance
8. Check permissions for ‘Perform vol Maintenance tasks’
9. PageFile Size
10. Check Memory configs
11. Default file paths for DB’s
12. Check model db configs
13. Create DBA database
14. Install SP_whoisactive
15. Install & run SP_Blitz
16. Check TEMP db setup – how many files, autogrowth, etc
17. Verify windows power management settings
18. Verify SQL Agent is mail enabled
I will continue to add to this list as I think of things.